Felix presented our work about exploring the role decision support systems in cloud infrastructures built in community networks at IEEE AINA 2015 (24-27 March 2015 in Gwangiu, South Korea). This involved my work with Victor Muntes-Mulero and his team at CA Labs on MODAClouds project, and with Felix Freitag on Clommunity project. Here is the abstract of the paper:
Internet and communication technologies have lowered the costs for communities to collaborate, leading to new services and collectively built infrastructures like community networks. Community networks get formed when individuals and local organisations from a geographic area team up to create and run a community-owned IP network to satisfy the community’s demand for ICT, such as facilitating Internet access and providing services of local interest. To address the limitation and enhance utility of community networks, we deploy collaborative clouds in community networks that allow interesting applications to be developed for serving local needs of communities. Such collaborative clouds employ resources contributed by the members of the community network for provisioning infrastructure and software services, and adapt to the specific social, economic and technical characteristics of the community networks. We need to support mechanisms that provide assistance in cloud service selection while taking into account different aspects pertaining to associated risks in community clouds, quality concerns of the users and cost limitations specifically in multi-clouds ecosystems. This paper proposes a risk-cost-quality based decision support system to assist the community cloud users to select the most appropriate cloud services meeting their needs. The proposed framework not only increases the ease of adoption of community clouds by providing assistance to users in cloud service selection, but also provides insights into the improvement of community clouds based on user behaviour.
Slides | Full-Text PDF | DOI Link
Here are some selected articles from IEEE and ACM magazines related to cloud computing:
- K. M. Khan and Q. Malluhi, “Trust in Cloud Services: Providing More Controls to Clients,” Computer, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 94–96, Jul. 2013.
- H. Berghel, “Through the PRISM Darkly,” Computer, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 86–90, Jul. 2013.
- B. Satzger, W. Hummer, C. Inzinger, P. Leitner, and S. Dustdar, “Winds of Change: From Vendor Lock-In to the Meta Cloud,” IEEE Internet Computing, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 69–73, Jan. 2013.
- S. Murugesan, “Cloud computing: The new normal?,” Computer, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 77–79, Jan. 2013.
- R. Moreno-Vozmediano, R. S. Montero, and I. M. Llorente, “IaaS Cloud Architecture: From Virtualized Datacenters to Federated Cloud Infrastructures,” Computer, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 65–72, Dec. 2012.
- S. Distefano and A. Puliafito, “Cloud@Home: Toward a Volunteer Cloud,” IT Professional, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 27–31, Jan. 2012.
Watch out for International Multitopic Conference 2009 that is coming up in December and will be held in Islamabad. The call for papers is now closed, though.
Here is the except from the conference website:
The International Multitopic Conference 2009 (INMIC-2009) will be held in Islamabad, on 14-15 December 2009. It will be jointly organized by Mohammad Ali Jinnah University, Islamabad, and University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, in association with IEEE Islamabad Section. Proceedings of INMIC 2009 conference will be published and the papers will also be available through IEEE Xplore ®.
IEEE INMIC is held every year and INMIC 2009 will be the 13th in the series. INMIC has become Pakistan’s flagship technical conference with a broad scope, thereby inviting interest of a large audience. The conference targets research presentations by academic and professional researchers, and also includes a series of tutorials, enabling participants to learn about the latest trends in technology. Research contributions are expected from the participants, covering various disciplines under IEEE’s domain, including technical papers, panel discussions, tutorials and project exhibitions.